Monday 2 July 2012

The city and the country

Chicago exceeded expectations.

I feel I'm likely to run out of superlatives but I'll try not to be too verbose :-). After settling in at a well set up hostel with a very helpful info desk we headed out for deep dish pizza (delicious) and the evening bike tour (awesome). I did not envy the one guide trying to wrangle 25 or so riders of significantly varying degrees of ability including one who had never ridden before. I tried to be helpful particularly on the road bits but didn't want to be too obnoxious. Still it was a great way to see the city and a heap of fun. We covered about 9 miles (15 kms) all up. Matt took off after that and we didn't see him until this morning (Mon) as he had a well deserved off day. Reto, Sandra, Lee and I wandered home along Michigan Ave checking out the Sat night life. Meanwhile Mum went up the Sears Tower (tallest building in Chicago) before finding her way home (with instructions to catch a cab if she got lost).

Sunday we were up and out to the First Methodist Church. We didn't expect to also have the opportunity to tour the Sky Chapel which is the tallest church steeple in the world, so that was a bonus. Of course they did cheat a little and build it on top of the 20 story building containing the church :-). The pictures below are carvings on alters, Jesus overlooking Jerusalem in the main church, and it's twin in the Sky Chapel, Jesus overlooking Chicago (possibly in the wrong order, I can't figure out how to change them around, sorry)

We took our time there and also heading along the lake (cue more photos of birds and boats) to the world famous Shedd Aquarium. We got caught in a pretty impressive storm on the way and queued over an hour to get in but it was worth it. Far too much to detail here, ask Mum or me about it when we're back.

We had dinner with Reto and Sandra (sadly her last night with us as she had Visa issues and has to fly home today) and then Mum went home via the Buckingham Fountain which we had seen on the bike tour. I think I read it's the biggest in the world (I'll have to check Matt's Lonely Planet) but I do recall it circulates 14,000 gallons per second. My wee converter app tells me that's approx. 53,000 litres. That sounds like a lot. But actually what is cool is that every hour there is a display with classical music, pretty lights and of course changing water patterns. So Mum got to enjoy that while we gave Sandra a wee send-off.

Chicago is beautifully laid out with heaps of open spaces along the lake side. The most popular beach has 20,000 people on summer weekend days. However we also saw a lot of homeless, and at the church there was a memorial to the 300+ children murdered in the last few years, particularly it seems accidentally during drive-bys. So not all museums and tall buildings.

However it is a beautiful city and I'm glad I have another day there during my next tour. That was the city.

Today we've visited the country. Amish country that is.

We were a bit late leaving Chicago, which worked out for us as Mum is having an eye issue and we had time to buy some eye drops for her. It seems to be better this afternoon but is still not yet right. We also lost an hour due to a timezone change, strange when we're driving, not flying. That's OK, this is the last one now until I'm on the next tour after Mum leaves. Anyway, that meant if was 11:30 by the time we got to the Indiana Dunes National Park on the shore of Lake Michigan. Wow!! It was like a beach only with no waves and fresh water and just the barest hint of land on the horizon. Mum stayed in the van to rest (which helped the eye) so Reto and I went for a lovely swim (30 mins wasn't long enough) and also took some photos. I reckon the water was maybe 25 and it was lovely and clear with a sandy bottom. We went a fair way out and it only just got over our heads.

Then it was on to Shipshewana, Indiana. Where the cars compete with horse drawn buggies and old style bicycles. It is a tourist town, but also clearly a working area with furniture making, dairy farming and apparently RV factories. Who knew?! We had 90 mins there and after a lunch of the best pretzel Mum and I have had, she, Reto and I did a half hour buggy ride with Harvey and George the horse. Harvey was at least 60, with the classic beard but no mustache and a bit taciturn but we managed to get him talking with a few questions. It was a great way to see the town and a wee bit of the countryside, at 6 miles per hour.

I think these posts are getting longer now I've worked out I can write them offline while we're driving. Feel free to txt, email or comment on the blog, it's nice to get news from home. I had a nice chat to brother Dave on Viber last night which was fun since I'm going to a lot of places he's been.

I see on Stuff there has been news of the heatwave here, we're certainly in it and I do appreciate the air con and the chance to swim when we can. I'm basically living in a skirt and tank top and Mum has bought a couple extra light things too. I hope NZ winter isn't too harsh!!

Love Sarah and Laurice.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you have an awesome USA birthday and that you're not in one of the 20 states with a fireworks ban!

    ReplyDelete