Tuesday 10 July 2012

Seafood and ballgames in Boston

I know, it's been a while since I posted, we've been busy :-)

Boston was great. The first evening we spent in the suburb of Cambridge checking out the Harvard campus (and feeling either less or more learned, we never did figure out which) and then after dinner some drinks in a low key local bar with Reto. Very mellow. Mum stayed in town and managed to take enough photos to get "squirreled out" (though it didn't last long, I caught her taking some more photos just a couple of days later) and get a slightly early night.

On Friday we walked our feet off following most of the Freedom Trail which covers most of the old stuff in Boston. Gosh they have a lot of history. It really is the birthplace of the Revolutionary movement. I did something I never do and purchased a "stupid little book" of the Freedom Trail so I can learn more about what I saw. Then It can be added to my father's extensive collection :-). We also did a "Super-Duck" tour in a bus that turns into a boat that was a lot of fun and very informative. I did have to keep poking Mum to keep her awake during the land part, she was fine for the water bit. I think I have worn her out!!

Our evening consisted of dinner at a flash seafood restaurant (when in Boston...) for our final meal together, then Mum, Reto and I went for a drink and dessert on the 52nd floor and a great view of the city. We could see Fenway Park where the Red Sox were playing the Yankees (at baseball) and where Matt had gone to watch the game. Reto and I left Mum to find her way home (which she did) and headed out toward Fenway to find a bar to watch the game and boy did we! It is called the Bleacher Bar and is located literally under the seats with a viewing window that looks into the park at ground level. The place was packed with fans and we had a fantastic time. I've included a pic (not allowed during the game, only after) which hopefully gives you a wee feel for it.

Next day we bid a (slightly) tearful farewell to the tour group who were heading back to New York, then I spent the morning at the Bunker Hill Monument (294 steps, I'm just saying) and museum while Mum had some (shopping) down time. We met with some relatives of relatives for lunch (more yummy seafood) and a bit of a local tour (thanks John and Anne) and then went to the house of some friends (thanks Matt, Rachael, Kate and Adam) with whom we stayed the night after going to Rhode Island (another state, check) for a minor league baseball game. It was great I knew most of the rules after the previous night and there were fireworks after, just for me.

Next day was Sunday so church and then some time at the beach (on a lake, but it was definitely sand) with the family before heading to the airport to go to Canada. Phew, it was a packed couple of days but it was lovely to be in a normal house for a night!

We are in Montreal now after two nights in Quebec City. I'll save that for the next post, tired now.

Love Sarah and Laurice

1 comment:

  1. Boston is such a cool city, between there and Philadelphia you've probably seen as much American history as you'll ever need to know.

    My memory of the bunker hill monument was of being absolutely stuffed when we got to the top. Statue of Liberty had more steps but at bunker hill I reckon each step was about 50% higher!

    We are back from our break down in Hawke's Bay with wine cellar suitably restocked - it's been the most amazing sunny weather here this last week! Dad's staying here tonight before picking Mum up from the airport tomorrow. I guess that means you will be saying good bye to here about now.

    Hope you're enjoying Canada and driving on the wrong side of the road and everything being in km. Don't worry, you'll be back to miles and familiarity soon!

    ReplyDelete