Thursday 5 July 2012

Independence Day in the US of A

We've had a very cool couple of days, and I don't mean the temperature. After a brief foray into Michigan (new state, yay!) for the night and pancakes for breakfast we were off on the six hour drive to Niagara Falls. Rest areas in this stretch were a bit scarce and it was the first really rainy day we've had (it really did bucket down for a while), but we managed to find a place for lunch and a break in the weather at the same time. This place was particularly well laid out as all the facilities were on an island in between the two interstate lanes with parking and an enclosed walking bridge from either side. Quite efficient.

Niagara Falls are just spectacular. The very significant bridges crossing the vast rivers that feed the falls give you some clue, and the cloud of spray you can see for miles is another. However the best way to fully appreciate it is from the Maid of the Mist boat tour. Everyone gets a glorified garbage bag raincoat in a very becoming royal blue (ask me sometime to see the close up I took of Mum, it would be too mean to put it here) but that doesn't do much to keep you dry against the force of the water. It was hard to keep your eyes open and I couldn't stop laughing! There was really no way to take photos so we just had to enjoy ourselves. Reto and I took some stairs that looked like they went back to the top, but they only went halfway so after getting even more drenched we had to go down and back up the lift afterall. We have no idea how they managed to build those stairs in the first place. You can walk around Luna and Angel Islands to get some good views from the top so we left Mum behind to take in the viewing platform and gift shop and powerwalked over to do that and got wet some more which was fun.

Then we had dinner in Canada (new country, yay). As you do :-). Well actually not Lee and Yen as they didn't have Visas that would let them go back into the US.

That side of the Falls is much more built up but very garish. It also has better views of the falls which are very pretty all lit up at night. The place was heaving with people and Matt said it was a slow night! As a bonus there were very pretty fireworks on the US side as we were walking back, and no dramas at the boarder!

Next day the weather was glorious again, and Matt had arranged a small town parade just for me :-). Apparently my brother Steve had something to do with it too!! We spent about an hour in Grand Island, New York enjoying some of their July 4th activities. Most people were dressed to impress, and we took a great photo with me and Terry (who was the most impressive I saw) when I went over and asked him if he'd mind. His whole family had coloured hair and great outfits and we talked for a few minutes and then another man named Tony came over to say hello. He'd been to NZ a couple of times and recognised the accent, so that was a lot of fun. I told Matt he (along with Terry and Tony) had made my day and it wasn't even 11!

By days end we were in the Finger Lakes region, had visited a local vineyard, been for a swim in the lake and had pork chops and corn on the cob on the grill for dinner. Then I got a pie with candles and a card from the group and we watched more fireworks, and fireflies into the evening. I also talked to nearest and dearest from home, so had a really really good day.

I've taught Reto two handed 500 (which he is definitely getting the hang of) and have continued my camping tradition of dishing out my patented back-rubs which seem to be appreciated, particularly by Matt who is clocking up some pretty impressive driving miles. Speaking of driving, one thing that has surprised me has been the frequency of tolls on the Interstate. I'm so glad we paid an all inclusive price for this trip, otherwise it would probably be driving me nuts. Parking charges also seem pretty steep to me.

Mum's eye is still giving her trouble but as of today (Thu) I'm sure I can see an improvement and she seems to be feeling better as the photo count is picking up again!!

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes, this one is right up there in the best birthdays ever hall of fame

Love
Sarah & Laurice

2 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to admit I had forgotten your blog until Kat reminded me about it today. I have been enjoying catching up with your adventures so far. I'm so glad you had such a great birthday, since that was the genesis of the whole trip. You're in my feed reader now, so I shouldn't miss any more of your news. Lots of love, Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah. Good to hear you're enjoying yourself. I regret now I said I cannot come with you, :)

    OK, just a few comments:

    Not taking photos of the Niagara falls just because it was too wet is a poor excuse, that's what under-water cameras are made for. Seriously!

    Pork chops are not Kosher.

    I take it you love getting wet. You must be missing NZ then. We've had a very wet month, I bet you wished you've never gone on that trip, haha.

    Happy birthday again, and keep enjoying yourself
    Roee

    ReplyDelete