Tuesday 24 July 2012

And now I've been to Bryce Canyon

The last few days we've done a number of hikes in National Parks and they have all been very cool.

First was the Hanging Lakes in the Colorado River area. This was about an hour up through forest to a beautiful lake that has a very specific ecological profile which means you can't swim in it but it is very clear and has very colourful deposits around it. There are a couple of waterfalls and lots of good photo opportunities, as well as some hopeful chipmunks for yet more photos. That was probably my favourite hike of them all, as it was really quite green and very pretty. There were some quite scrambly bits which were fun. I have also established a couple of trail buddies. Daz is English and 32 and has just left the army. He is enjoying not having to go hard and is one of those very prepared people who makes you feel very safe. He seems to have adopted Minnie who is 19 and German and goes about the same pace I want to go so the three of us (and sometimes some others) have pretty much done all the hikes together. They'll feature in quite a few photos!

After that hike we went to go white water rafting on the Colorado River. How many people can say they've done that?? I'd never done it before and it was fun though it did feel a little tame. I'm sure there are better places in my own country of which I shall have to avail myself when I get home!

I had the opportunity to talk to home that evening so that was nice. It can get a little much to be spending so much time with the same people especially as some do rub me up the wrong way!

We did an overnight drive to Arches National Park, arriving in time to watch the sunrise. More pretty rocks with interesting shapes, this time (you'll be surprised to know) with lots of arches. More hiking in some serious heat, about three hours all up and boy do we go through the water! More scrambling over rocks and spotting the wildlife, this time lizards, and more photo ops. After the hike we did a brief stop to see the Delicate Arch which is the one that looks like cowboy legs. It's the most iconic shape of all the arches we saw, and even features on the Utah (did I mention new state, check) license plates.

Sunday was a down day with some time in Moab in the morning, and in the evening we arrived at a place called Mystic Hot Springs. It's an out of the way place which has a very hippy vibe (apparently the owner made his money as a graphic artist for The Grateful Dead) and of course the main feature is the hot pools. It was very pleasant to have a long soak after dinner, there was a lady from Salt Lake City I had a good chat to and I certainly slept well that night. I've added a photo of the bus at that stop, as we are just waiting to head out in the morning.

Which brings us to yesterday and Bryce Canyon. Mum and Dad first went there 20 years ago and loved it so much they made a subsequent visit. I know I wouldn't have got away without going there this trip and now I have. And I get it :-). It really is quite the place. It's actually not a canyon as there is no river (unlike Zion and Grand Canyons), the rock formations are created by freezing and thawing water, so technically it's an amphitheater. The formations are really quite beautiful shapes and colours and well worth the visit. Daz, Minnie and I took our time on a couple of the hikes, getting back up out of the canyon involved a section they call Wall Street which was maybe 20 switchbacks going back and forth up the hill. The attached photo shows maybe half of it, Gregor and Claudia are halfway up but you really can't tell it's them!

So now I've done Bryce Canyon.

Last night we camped nearby in a State Park and the weather was quite thundery. We were high enough to be able to see about three different lightening storms on the horizon and there was some decent rain in the night. I've been sleeping on the bus since the weather has been a little cooler over the last couple of nights (as opposed to outside, I'm not really keen to be rained on). Yesterday was only 82 degrees which is about 27 in my language, just a normal hot summer day at home!

I have become aware my holiday is drawing to a close. This time in a week I'll be well back at work and life will be getting back to normal. It's been a good holiday but I'm not really sad there's not much left, I'm sure that may not last long but that's how I'm feeling just now. Part of it is that I hurt my back again a couple of days ago slipping getting into the Colorado River for a swim, (which incidentally was very cool if a little swift to stay in for too long!) and while I am managing with ibuprofen and not missing out on anything I will need to get that sorted when I get home. On a positive note my knee hasn't been giving me any issues for which I am very grateful.

I have worked out how to review photos on the camera now, so that will be a job sometime, hopefully before I get home!

See you all soon!

Love
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Another very interesting post -reading your stories makes me want another adventure!
    Enjoy Vegas & we look forward to seeing you in a few days.
    Dave, Nita & girls

    ReplyDelete