Saturday 30 June 2012

Learnin' the lingo

We are sitting in traffic on our way into Chicago with a deep dish pizza and evening bike tour of the city in the not too distant future. Nashville was a lot of fun, we went to the Wild Horse Saloon for dinner and a spot of line dancing and then headed to another bar for some more (normal) dancing. Sandra and Reto are a lot of fun and Matt kept us company for a good part of the evening.

After Nashville we were headed to Louisville, Kentucky with a stop on the way at Mammoth Caves. What an amazing place. It's the biggest cave system in the world and over twice the size of the next biggest. We spent two hours there on an historical tour in a very cool 12 degrees. Given that it was about 40 outside it was quite a shock going in and out. So far they have explored 365 miles of the system and they think it could be more than 600 all up. Americans don't do things small.

We got to the campsite in good time and spent a while in the pool. Apparently it was about 29 and even Mum was happy in it for quite a while. Matt grew up in Louisville just across the boarder in Indiana and so some of his friends came to join us for the grill. It was nice just hanging out with some locals and they seemed to enjoy themselves too. This campsite has better cabins than the last, the same basic layout with a double bed and a set of bunks, but they had air con and a mirror so Mum was happy.

Today we've basically done a straight run to Chicago and we have an off day tomorrow to spend as we wish. I should get a good feel for the city on the bike ride tonight. I am certainly looking forward to getting on a bike :-)

Mum is doing well, although I didn't manage to get her line dancing and she has also declined tonight's bike ride. She seems happiest if she has animals to photograph or a Walmart to shop at and happily she's getting a goodly amount of both.

I'm getting the hang of the lingo. I can manage sidewalks, crosswalks, restrooms, trashcans and hangin' a Rita or a Lucy (right or left turn). We often stop for a cup of Joe (coffee) and I have just about got the hang of miles rather than kilometers. However the celsius fahrenheit thing still completely confuses me and I am so glad I got an app that does the conversion for me!

We have developed a bit of a theme for this tour as my Swiss friends are quite entertained at how many things I find are awesome. They hassle my accent but that's fine, I can cope and we really are getting on well. We don't see as much of Lee and Yen but Lee is coming on the bike ride tonight so I'm pleased about that.

Love
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Wow you guys are certainly covering some miles! We did a one day haul from Mammoth Caves all the way to Canada, crossing over at Detroit. I guess your drive to Chicago would be a similar distance.
    I recall Mammoth Caves having loads of wild Turkeys and Deer so that would have kept Mother well in her element!
    Seeing Chicago by bike sounds like an excellent plan. When we were there it was freezing cold, especially on an open top double decker bus! If you get time, the Shedd Aquarium is worth a look, you might also be able to cycle down to the end of Navy Pier.
    Enjoy the weather, it's not so warm here!!!

    ReplyDelete