Friday 22 June 2012

Talk about a team effort

Well what an interesting and challenging few days. I am in the New York Public Library using their Wi-Fi and this is the first time I have managed to get online since we arrived. Thank you Martin who fielded a call at 2am NY time (only 6pm NZ time!) to give me some ideas to try to get my phone working. It has clearly worked.

The reason I was awake at 2am is that a) we only got home at 11:30pm for Sister Act (which we both really enjoyed) but b) it is really hot and sticky here and the air con unit is LOUD. Never mind after a cold shower I did get a few hours sleep (and I'm remembering to turn the phone off at night so feel free to text any time.

The other team work event was getting Mum's hearing aid fixed today. Since I couldn't get online I had Dad look up a place to go and we got there this morning and they fixed it right then and didn't even charge us. Can I just say WOW??!! And it's only just gone midday.

Yesterday we covered downtown Manhattan including Wall Street, South Street Seaport, the Staten Island Ferry and Ground Zero. We also got the half price tickets to Sister Act (8th row from the front no less) and picked up the New York Pass tickets we will use tomorrow. I also mastered the subway and the local lingo for directions anyway.

It's so much fun people watching and also listening to snatches of conversations. I said to Mum today that we are on Madison Avenue. And that's 42nd St right there. They named a musical after that!! Too cool.

OK that's enough for a first post. Thanks for all the wishes. Anyone can send me a txt for free online through a travelsim card my lovely colleagues got me. Martin can I ask you to reply to this post with the instructions I sent you so everyone has them? Thanks

Love
Sarah and Laurice

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your trip is off to a great start! (and I should warn you we don't have air conditioning. So it's quiet!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to contact Sarah:

    The TravelSIM number is 372 547 74949

    You can txt her from https://www.travelsim.co.nz/FreeSMS/

    You can phone her from NZ at your cost by calling 00 372 547 74949. Note that this involves routing the call via. Estonia, so could be expensive.

    You can also call her by dialing 0800 449 302. When asked for the TravelSIM number key in 372 547 74949. This won't cost you anything, but will cost Sarah $0.21/minute USD surcharge to receive the call.

    ReplyDelete