Monday 25 June 2012

New York to DC

We're on the tour now and have had a really good couple of days. Matt is our guide and has 10 years experience and so far so good. He is quite easy on the eyes which doesn't hurt but also seems competent, friendly and helpful.

Yesterday we had 3 hours to explore some of Philadelphia so saw the Liberty Bell and the building where they signed the Declaration of Independence as well as trying (and enjoying) a real Philly Cheese-steak. Then it was on the road again to Washington DC. The hostel is clean and basic and has good net access (yay!) and breakfast provided. Then it was out to dinner (large portions, tonight Mum and I shared a main and that was much more manageable) and then an evening "illumination" tour taking in all the major monuments and a shot of the White House. A good evening and then home to talk to Dad through the Internet on Viber. It's a little touchy just like Skype can be, but still a really good option and we had a good talk which was nice for Mum and Dad.

Today we were up and out in good time after breakfast and did the Capitol, the National Archives which has (among other things) the Declaration of Independence. You know the one they actually signed 200 years to the day before I was born. An absolute highlight!! As if that wasn't enough we did the National museum of American History (did you know General Lee surrendered to General Grant using a Virginia housewife's tea towel as his white flag? I've seen that tea towel :-) ). Then on to the Air and Space Museum for moon landers and aircraft and missiles galore. I was interested to note before Wilber and Orville Wright became inventors they made a good living as bicycle mechanics!!

To top off the day we went to Arlington Cemetery (and not only saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but also a wreath laying ceremony including playing the last post) and the Iwo Jima memorial, dinner and home to another good chat to Dad and the chance to send a few emails.

I am getting the hang of taking photos on the phone and so will post one from today. Unfortunately there is no photography allowed in the National Archives so you'll just have to trust me when I say what I saw. I really did though and it was cool.

Thanks again for all the moral support, I'm doing better than I was after some good sleep, net access and ready access to an expert to answer all my questions. Don't forget to sign your txts as the phone doesn't tell me who they're from :-)

Love to all
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a couple of days! Sarah, I must have been naughty on my trip - for anyone interested, this is the link to our equivalent day in Washington a couple of years back... along with a photo from inside the national archives & another I shouldn't really have taken!
    http://www.woodiesusaroadtrip.blogspot.co.nz/2009/12/moon-and-flag.html
    Although I imagine it is slightly warmer for you than it was in December!
    Really enjoying the updates, they're bringing back memories! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete