Wednesday 26 December 2012

Merry Christmas from Rarotonga

I know this is my USA trip blog, but I thought I might make it a more general travel blog and post from Rarotonga. I am here with my parents visiting my Aunt and Uncle Lee and Darryl for 10 days. We arrived just on midnight Christmas Eve (last night) and by the time we were off the plane and queuing at customs it was Christmas Day. Again. Lee and Darryl greeted us with real flower eis (which I recognise as leis) and we headed 10 mins to their home. They are here for 2 years while Darryl works for the government on some mining infrastructure and regulations.

Enough preamble. What a beautiful, laid back place. They talk about 'island time' and it really is. The weather has been warm but not heaps. It's been quite windy today but I've still managed 4 swims. Before brunch, after brunch, in the afternoon at the High Commissioner's residence don't you know (basically an open invite to Kiwis and hangers on to their pool area) and then this evening I took myself off for a night time swim.

Lee and Darryl live right on the beach (the photo is from their deck) and you can swim anywhere here. There are some rocky areas so it's nice to go where there is a bit of space, but the rocks are where the fish are and with a mask and snorkel there is a whole other world right there just waiting for you to see it. I plan to do some serious snorkeling while I'm here, it's so interesting and peaceful. Just have to watch the sun as the shoulders have seen a little too much today.

Lee has also kindly sourced a bike for me while I'm here, and it comes with the offer of company for some off the main road touring as well. Roger and Ruth are friends of Lee and Darryl's and Roger is pretty keen so I hope that will be good too.

There are lots of insects here, but none appear to be biting me yet so I'm pleased about that. They also get lots of lizards (called moko) that hang out on the ceiling of the deck where we've been eating. It's fun to watch them scuttle about.

It's most pleasant sitting here on the deck listening to the waves. The stars are pretty vivid though the clouds are whispy and wafting across the sky and the nearly full moon.

Merry Christmas from Rarotonga and I'll post again when I have something interesting to say. Heather and Kerry would you mind putting out the word to a few people that I'm posting again, and Heather if you could please copy me in so I can forward the link to others. Again I appear to be able to receive emails on the phone, but not easily send them. However I can webmail on Lee's laptop so not too much drama to do it that way

Love

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment