Sunday 30 December 2012

Bike riding and sewing

Yesterday Mum and Dad left early for a couple days away, and I got to go for a bike ride without getting wet. The bike I'm riding was borrowed from Ruth who is married to Roger, and he and his daughter Jackie (also visiting from Auckland) and I went for a good ride all the way around the island. It's 32kms all up, but we did take a back route or two so it was likely a bit longer than that. It was really nice to have company and a (sort of) local guide as I doubt I would have been brave enough to leave the ring road on my own. There is a wee bit of a different feel when you leave the main road, less touristy, more local. Lots of dogs and chickens roaming, Lee tells me there has been a concerted effort over the last few years to cut down the numbers of stray dogs.

I took my leave of the others when we got to town and meandered through the main area, stopped at a couple of shops but just looked. There are certainly plenty of places to eat and drink, car and scooter hire places (and a couple with electric assist bikes) and souvineer type places. But also more normal hardware, supermarkets and general stores. It was a nice fine day and I was very happy to get home for a swim and a quiet afternoon/evening.

Today, would you believe, I used a sewing machine! I know, I can barely believe it either, I'm sure it would be 20 years since I last touched one.

Lee and I went to the Saturday market which was fun, although the drizzle was pretty steady. Lee is a regular, so was able to introduce me to a few locals. I decided I was after cushion covers, but couldn't really find what I was after. So, when we got home Lee suggested we could buy some fabric and make some covers. So we did (photo attached for evidence!). Who would have guessed it?! I'm quite pleased, though the lines aren't as straight as they might be. I just hope I got the colour right to go in the room.

This evening Roger, Ruth and Jackie came for dinner, and we have had a nice evening. At 11pm this is looking like my first no swim day of the holiday, as by the time the weather cleared in the afternoon I was otherwise occupied.

I have to share about ceiling fans. They are a really great invention, and I have been most happy to sleep with mine on every night. However, (and it took me two goes to get this), it really doesn't pay to put clothes on or off over ones head while standing under said fan. They hurt quite a lot when they hit your finger, especially the second time in essentially the same spot. I have now got the message, and make sure I am well clear before getting changed.

And I've now finished three books and counting :-)

2 comments:

  1. 3 books already, you just got there! WOW, can you read some for me please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey, can you sow me jeans please? Mine are getting older. Whoohoo, sounds and looks like you having fun.
    I'm glad for you

    ReplyDelete