Friday 29 April 2016

Karaoke in Thailand

(Not able to add pics at present, will do when I can)

Who would have thought it, but that's what we did. More on that in a bit.

Tuesday evening we did the English lesson again. It was nice to see the same children again, there were a couple less, but most were there. We were able to be a bit helpful again, so that was good. There are a couple of vowel sounds that aren't in Thai, so they really struggle with 'v', 'z' and 'th'. Of course that makes three and seven interesting numbers to try to say. They really can't get their tongue around thirteen. Of course the reverse is also true, we've found a few of the words we've tried out pretty challanging. And on top of that even if we get the word right, if we have the wrong tone then it's all wrong. I've found thinking of it like a song rather than speech helps.

After that we went back to the fair and I got to try a bunch more interesting foods (no more bugs!) and finished off with a lovely cool frosty drink. Again, lots of fun.

Wednesday, first we went to a place that's hard to describe. It's run by a guy who for a business sells rice seedlings tomfarmers, and also promotes high value high yield farming, as in plant each seedling individaully rather than scatter sowing, as then each plant will produce much more crop. So there were examples of different varieties of rice and some of the bugs and things.  However, he is also a collector, and so there were lots of farm equipment from different eras, and an example of a traditional Thai house with different buildings off a main veranda, and other things as well. There were a couple of water buffalo which were clearly very happy when they were let into their wee pool and hosed down (pic included). There was also a tower, probably about four stories high which Gayle and I climbed. It was well worth it, for the view, but particularly for the breeze! I was struck by how Japanese both the buildings and the garderns seemed to me, I vividly remember the ultra sculpted gardens from my trip there in '07. I've included a picture.

After that we were off to what I thought was going to be lunch with the couple we met on Sunday night. One of the church members belongs to a karaoke group, and he had brought a few of them with him to church, one lady in particular spoke pretty good English and seemed very keen to have us for lunch. So, we turn up, and instead of a quiet meal with a few people there's a room with about 15 people already singing and dancing and keen as for us to join in. Gayle was much more of a joiner than me when it came to the dancing (I just had to include a photo), but I did manage to sing a tune or two. They had a few Bon Jovi songs, though not my favorite, and they were also keen to sing some songs they knew, like Country Road, and All I Have to Do is Dream. We also ate, more yummy food with fruit to finish, and then still more singing. They were clearly making an occasion of our visit, and a few spoke English including another guy who is a Christian. So Kim and Mary were able to have some good conversations, and hopefully the relationships can be maintained and more witnessing can be done.

We went back to Suphanburi City after that; we three ladies went up the tower in the centre of the city for the view and some history while Kim did some practical stuff. Then for dinner it was back to the market, this time for a sit down meal, and this time I mixed it up and had some duck. Usually the options are chicken, pork or seafood. I couldn't resist buying a quail, though I ate it for lunch the next day.

Thursday, yesterday was our last day with the Robertsons. In the morning Kim had a visitor, so we made ourselves scarce and went to check out the museum inside the chedi in the centre of town. We walked the 500 metres or so, and it was fine. I really haven't minded the heat for the most part, I just accept I'm going to sweat, and then get on with it. Kim and Mary said they've been impressed at how we've handled it, apparently days on end of 40 degrees is hot, even for Thailand.

Then after lunch we went to visit a lady who with her husband built a church next to there house.  Since his death she has continued to lead the church, but she is getting on, and there is a big question about what will happen when she isn't around. As well as the church she runs a sewing business, and as well as visiting her we were there to buy some souvineers.  There was also a cute six month old I got to play with, and then we prayed for and with her. Pretty much every visit we've done we've prayed before and during the visit.

Then we went out for a nice final meal (more great food) and then home to pack. Today is a travel day for Gayle, she's home about midday Saturday NZ time. I'm now in Bangkok, and checked in to my hostel not far from the river. It's still pretty toasty here, but there was a nice breeze by the river when I found a spot to sit for a few minutes. I've found the bike tour place for tomorrow, and have my train ticket to Chiang Mai, so feel I'm pretty sorted. I'm not far from Chinatown here, so after some time in the air con I might venture out to check it out.

I'll write soon
Sarah


3 comments:

  1. It sounds Like soo much fun! Enjoy th bike tour!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds Like soo much fun! Enjoy th bike tour!!!!

    ReplyDelete